On August 27, 2015, the Massachusetts Appeals Court held in Pfannenstiehl v. Pfannenstiehl, Nos. 13-P-906, 13-P-686, & 13-P-1385, 2015 Mass App. LEXIS 123, that a husband’s interest in an irrevocable trust with an ascertainable standard is a “vested beneficial interest subject to inclusion in the marital estate.” This is a significant decision that could impact the way in which trusts and estates practitioners in Massachusetts draft estate plans for clients concerned about divorce protection. To read full Alert, click here.
Subscribe to the Trusts and Estates Blog
- 83 Fed. Reg. 59343 – IRS Releases Proposed “Anti-Clawback” Regulations
- PLR 201825003 – IRS Determines Conditional Transfer of a Remainder Interest a Completed Gift
- Coming in as a Successor Trustee – Releases and Best Practices
- PLR 201834011 – Consequences (or Lack Thereof) of Divisions and Gift of QTIP Income Interest
- IRS Notice: 2018-61 – Effect of IRC Section 67(g) Costs Paid or Incurred in the Administration of an Estate or Trust