On August 27, 2015, the Massachusetts Appeals Court held in Pfannenstiehl v. Pfannenstiehl, Nos. 13-P-906, 13-P-686, & 13-P-1385, 2015 Mass App. LEXIS 123, that a husband’s interest in an irrevocable trust with an ascertainable standard is a “vested beneficial interest subject to inclusion in the marital estate.” This is a significant decision that could impact the way in which trusts and estates practitioners in Massachusetts draft estate plans for clients concerned about divorce protection. To read full Alert, click here.
Subscribe to the Trusts and Estates Blog
- IRS Notice: 2018-61 – Effect of IRC Section 67(g) Costs Paid or Incurred in the Administration of an Estate or Trust
- Estate and Income Tax Planning for “Small” Estates (Now Under $11 Million!)
- The Philanthropic Enterprise Act of 2017 (a/k/a “Newman’s Own Exception”)
- Donor-Advised Funds: IRS Proposes Rule Changes Through IRS Notice 2017-73
- Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017